Cheese, cheese, and more cheese describes this creamy baked macaroni and cheese dish—er, ‘extravaganza.’ This is sure to please the braces-wearer in your family (and the rest of the household, too!).
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- Water for boiling noodles
- 1 or 2 onions, chopped (optional)
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons margarine for sautéing onions, if applicable
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh is best, but the canned type works too)
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup bread crumbs or dry stove-top stuffing
Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium pot, boil macaroni in water until you can just cut it with the side of a fork; drain and set aside. In a medium saucepan, sauté the onions in the margarine until they are clear and tender. In a 3-quart greased casserole, stir together the macaroni and milk. Sprinkle with the cheeses and onion, then stir it all together. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Cover and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Serves six to eight.
From The Braces Cookbook: Recipes You and Your Orthodontist Will Love by Pamela and Brenda Waterman.