This baked version of the Italian classic is sure to be a hit with your whole family, braces-wearers, or not. This is definitely comfort food at its finest!
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, and set aside. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the onions, green peppers and ground beef. Once beef is brown and onions and peppers softened, add the tomatoes, mushrooms and oregano. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Place half of the cooked spaghetti into the prepared dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the mild Cheddar cheese. Repeat. In a medium bowl, mix together cream of mushroom soup and water until smooth; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.