Cheese, cheese, and more cheese describes this creamy baked macaroni and cheese dish—er, ‘extravaganza.’ This is sure to please the braces-wearer in your family (and the rest of the household, too!).
Three Cheese Macaroni ExtravaganzaCook time:40 Minutes Yield: 6-8 Servings Print
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- Water for boiling noodles
- 1 or 2 onions, chopped (optional)
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons margarine for sautéing onions, if applicable
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh is best, but the canned type works too)
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup bread crumbs or dry stove-top stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium pot, boil macaroni in water until you can just cut it with the side of a fork; drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté the onions in the margarine until they are clear and tender.
- In a 3-quart greased casserole, stir together the macaroni and milk. Sprinkle with the cheeses and onion, then stir it all together.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Cover and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Serves six to eight.
From The Braces Cookbook: Recipes You and Your Orthodontist Will Love by Pamela and Brenda Waterman.